Wednesday, September 3, 2014

The Joy of Spending Time on the Farm, Dr. Cathy Frank

If you’ve never visited Lake Erie, I thoroughly recommend that you consider taking a trip to the area one day.  I write this as a native of the area.  Born and raised in London, Ontario, I’ve been living on the border of Lake Erie for almost my entire life, and I now own a 50-acre farm on Lake Erie, which I live on with my husband.  And I have to say, besides the joy I get from my profession (I’m a OB/GYN doctor by training), nothing gives me more pleasure and more sense of belonging than when I’m on my farm. 

I studied gynecology and obstetric medicine in medical school and for many years, I served as an OB/GYN doctor performing gynecological surgeries and (my favourite part of my job) delivering babies.  I worked hard to become Dr. Cathy Frank and I have a lot of pride in having earned my medical degree.  But, nothing has given me more satisfaction than guiding a new birth and watching a new mother’s face light up as she holds her child for the first time.  That’s what I experienced as an OB/GYN  regularly and the beauty of the moment has never been lost on me.

In some ways, I can say the same thing about my farm on Lake Erie.  It’s a source of beauty; it’s a source of rejuvenation; and in the more stressful or difficult times in my life, my farm has served as a source of peace and tranquility.

Let me tell you what my husband and I have on our farm (and in case you won’t be able to tell, I love animals almost as much as I love babies).  We have two horses, two mini donkeys (who love to walk to the lake with us).  We have two sheep, a black and a white one.  We have two mini goats and two regular-size goats.  And we have an undisclosed number of cats (hint: it’s a lot).  I don’t have any favorite animals – I love them all and they’re all members of our big family.  I have to admit, it sometimes feels like we’re on Noah’s Arc.  But, that’s part of the reason why I love it.

Horse riding used to be my most favourite passion.  I’ve ridden horses ever since I was a kid, and having a farm gave me all the space I needed to ride my horses.  Unfortunately, several years ago, I fractured my pelvis, which put an end to my horse riding days.  But, I can go outside still and visit my horses, which gives me a tremendous sense of comfort. 

Without horse riding in my life, reading has stepped up and become my favourite pastime.  Doesn’t matter the season – summer, winter, fall, I’m always reading.  And in my opinion, living on a farm makes enjoying that pastime all the easier.  Fewer distractions, less noise, the inviting calm of the countryside – these are all the things that allow me to sit down with a book and read for hours on end (or at least until my husband comes home).  I have bookshelves lined with books and, trust me, my next task will be trying to unload our house of some them. 

I know I’m not the only one who loves the quiet beauty of life on the farm.  And if you’re one who likes the country and bucolic environments, then find some time to travel around Lake Erie – you won’t regret it.




       

No comments:

Post a Comment